Thursday, June 30, 2011

Week 7: Where's my privacy?!!

I am just a 21 year old nobody, typing a blog entry on a school night. It's getting really late and the sky is pitch black with sprinkles of stars. Every now and then I look out my window to rest my sleepy eyes and, hey, wait. Is that a paparazzi outside my house taking pictures of me?! Why you little... Oh. Sorry, it wasn't me he is targeting. It's my neighbor downstairs. But of course. She is a famous actor in Singapore. She is ought to be filmed and caught on camera anyway because she is just too popular, too famous and people wants to know what she is up to. What she is wearing. What she is eating. What shampoo she uses...

So one would often think, does being a celebrity really equates to a lesser degree of privacy? To a certain extent, I would think yes, a celebrity is not given the privilege of privacy. Being a celebrity is a career choice or a life path which is personally chosen by an individual, who should know very well that attention, drama and the countless paparazzi that are bound to hound him/her daily are part of the package.

To clear the air, I am NOT saying that celebrities are deserved not to have privacy. Don't we all do? What I meant to say is, despite deserving that certain level of privacy, unfortunately, being in that field of work, their level of privacy remains minimal. The word celebrity is almost synonymous with fame and fame is equal to publicity. In other words, although celebrities may deserve equal levels of privacy like we all do, they should totally lower their expectations of privacy because otherwise, everyday would be filled with disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment